Friday, 15 June 2007

Life and Problems

Many times in our lives we come across situations that we don't necessarily want to find ourselves in. So what do we do when we find ourselves in those situations? Do we try and handle them by ourselves? Do we try and find friends to help us handle them? Or do we turn to God and ask for his help in handling them? In my own life, I am a very private person so reaching out and asking anyone for help even God can be a big thing. A very big, hard thing to do. I have been Christian for most of my life. I remember giving my life to the Lord when I was little but I am unable to tell you when exactly it was. In all of those years where I have known God I don't think that I have really understood what it means to call on God for help. Even now I am still trying to get my head around the fact that God does want to hear me and He does want to help me out of situations that I have gotten myself into.

So how do we go about asking God for help? How do we know what to ask Him? How do we do it in a way that is not ramblings, but is to the point? Do our prayers need to be to the point or will God know what we are trying to say?

2 comments:

Cat said...

Read read read read read read read! My suggestion, knowing your penchant for books, would be to read a few books about what prayer is and methods of prayer, as well as on listening to God and Spiritual Disciplines. That, stopping and listening instead of prattling on every time (still do it - just not EVERY time), and experimentation have helped me hugely. Even Samuel needed Eli to help him recognise what God sounded like and how to respond...

Ellen Rose said...

Even stopping and listening for God's voice can be difficult when you don't know how to recognise it. And unfortunately I believe that God speaks to people to different ways and it takes pratise to recognise when He is talking to you...